Western Languages Collections
Widener's Western Languages Collections include materials in all languages and all subjects in the humanities and social sciences published in Albania, Australia, Austria, Belgium, Canada, France, Germany, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Luxembourg, Malta, New Zealand, Romania, Switzerland, and the Scandinavian countries, including the Faroe Islands and Greenland, the United Kingdom, the United States, and English-language publications published in all Asian nations.
Widener's Western Languages Collections are completed by the libraries on the Harvard campus: The Fine Arts Library, Frances Loeb Library (architecture, city planning), Houghton Library (rare books and manuscripts), Harvard Law School Library, Loeb Music Library, and Tozzer Library (anthropology); and Government Documents/Microforms, located at the Lamont Library. In addition, the Dumbarton Oaks Library and the Center for Hellenic Studies, both located in the Washington, D.C. area, and the Berenson Library, located at the Villa I Tatti in Florence, Italy, hold essential Western European collections.
Feedback on our collections and services, and suggestions for purchases through our Collections Purchase Request form are always welcome.
Please contact Lidia Uziel, Head of Western Languages Division and Librarian for Western Europe, via e-mail or phone at 617-496-2568 for assistance with questions or comments, purchase requests, or bibliographic instruction.
- Requesting Materials
Related Resources at Harvard University
- Department of Germanic Languages and Literatures
- Department of Romance Languages and Literatures
- Minda De Gunzburg Center for European Studies
- Department of English
Selected Resources and Useful Links
- Germanic Research Web: Research Guide for Germanic Studies
- Inter Libros: Research Guide for Classics & Medieval Studies
- Rinascimento: Research Guide for Renaissance Studies
- RLL - Research: Research Guide for Romance Studies
- Voice of the Shuttle, Web Site for Humanities Research
- Literary Resources on the Net
- History Online Resources – Institute of Historical Research, University of London
- WessWeb (Western European Studies Section, Association of College and Research Libraries)
- The Labyrinth: Resources for Medieval Studies
- The European Library