Harvard Maps Collection
GIS Tutorials and Exercises
The Introduction to GIS Tutorial consists of a three-part movie accompanied by hands-on exercises.
These tutorials require the Flash Player browser plugin.
Web resources mentioned during the movie are available at GIS Links and Resources.
The exercises accompanying the movie are compressed into a ZIP file. To work with the exercises:
- Make sure that you have the program ArcGIS, which is required to do the exercises. ArcGIS is available from the Harvard GSD Web site's Harvard ArcGIS/ArcView Download Page.
- Download the exercises from IntroToGIS.zip
- Unzip the files into your local c:\temp directory, where two two folders will be created. The "workshop" folder contains the exercise data, and the "instructions" folder contains PDF instructions to lead you through the exercises.
- Complete Exercise 1 after Part 1 of the movie.
- Complete Exercise 2 after Part 2 of the movie.
- Complete Exercises 3 and 4 midway through Part 3 of the movie when prompted to do so.